David Slater has been a resident of Pleasant Valley since 1984. First elected Mayor in 1987, at the age of 28, Mayor Slater served two terms, stopping to raise his three young children in 1991. He represented Clay County on the Mid-America Regional Council (MARC) his last year in office. He coached youth sports for 12 years. He was also very involved with his children’s schools. When his oldest son, Adam, graduated from the University of Missouri in Columbia and Courtney and Zach were away at college at Missouri Western in St. Joseph, he decided to get back into local government in 2009, winning the mayoral race that year.
Mayor Slater has a Master’s in Business Administration from Webster University and an Accounting Degree from Missouri Western State University. He is the Senior Vice President/Chief Financial Officer for Bank 21 in Blue Springs, Missouri.
- Membership in the Pleasant Valley Civic Organization since 1985, currently the Treasurer.
- Has been a member of St James Parish in Liberty since 1984.
- St. Pius X School Board since 2006 to 2012, serving the last two years as Board President.
- Missouri Western State University Alumni Board from 2008 through 2017, the last year as Board President.
- Represents Clay County Cities on the Total Transportation Policy Committee and also the Highway Committee.
- Represents Clay County on the Executive Board for the Metro Mayors Caucus where he is currently the Chair.
- Member of the Board of Directors for the Northland Regional Chamber of Commerce where he also sits on the Planning and Development Committee.
- Co-Chair Blue Springs Chamber of Commerce Legislative Affairs Committee.
- Elected President of the Missouri Mayors United Board of Directors in 2019.
In his spare time Mayor Slater enjoys getting out and meeting people, traveling (with his three children, they have visited all 50 states, Canada and Mexico), watching sports, winning favorite uncle contests and doing volunteer work. In 2006 Mr. Slater won the system-wide volunteer of the year award at Commerce Bank for his efforts. In 2009 he was recognized with the Giuseppe Sarto award for his involvement at St. Pius. In 2016 the Missouri Municipal League (MML) recognized Mayor Slater with a Distinguished Service Award. In 2019 Mayor Slater won a Regional Leadership Award from the Mid-American Regional Council: Click here to watch the YouTube Video.
|David Slater||Mayor||(816) 872-3978|