First elected Mayor in 1987 at the age of 28, Mr. Slater served two terms, stopping to raise his three children in 1991. He represented Clay County on the Mid America Regional Council his last year in office. He coached youth sports for 12 years. After getting divorced, Mayor Slater got very involved with his children’s schools. With Adam graduated from the University of Missouri, Columbia and Courtney and Zach away to college at Missouri Western in St. Joseph, he got the urge to get back into politics in 2009, winning the mayor’s race.
Mayor Slater has a Master’s in Business Administration from Webster University and an Accounting Degree from Missouri Western State University. He has been a resident of Pleasant Valley since 1984.
Community involvement includes:
- Membership in the Pleasant Valley Civic Organization since 1985.
- St. Pius X School Board since 2006 to 2012, serving the last two years as Board President.
- Missouri Western State University Alumni Board since 2008. He is currently Vice President.
- Represents Clay County Cities on the Total Transportation and Policy Committee.
- Represents Clay County on the Executive Board for the Metro Mayors Caucus. He is the current Chair.
- Member of the Board of Directors for the Northland Regional Chamber of Commerce where he also sits on the Planning and Development Committee.
- Co-Chair Blue Springs Chamber of Commerce Legislative Affairs Committee.
- Has been a member of St James Parish in Liberty since 1984.
His full-time job is at Bank 21 in Blue Springs, Missouri where is serves as Vice President/Chief Financial Officer. In his spare time Mayor Slater enjoys getting out and meeting people, traveling (with his three children, they have visited all 50 states, Canada and Mexico), watching sports, winning favorite uncle contests and doing volunteer work. In 2006 Mr. Slater won the system-wide volunteer of the year award at Commerce Bank for his efforts. In 2009, he was recognized with the Giuseppe Sarto award for his involvement at St. Pius. In 2016, the Missouri Municipal League (MML) recognized Mayor Slater with a Distinguished Service Award.
You can reach Mayor Slater at:
7118 Sobbie Rd
Pleasant Valley, MO 64068
2016 Distinguished Service Award - MML
City Officials who attended the ceremony in St. Louis at the MML annual conference on September 13, 2016 were:
Linda Jacoby, Alderwoman; City Clerk, Georgia Fox; Fire Chief, Robert Stinson; Public Works Director, Chris Cronk;
Police Chief, Gordon Abraham.